Monday, May 27, 2013

Thank Your For Our Freedom

Memorial-DayAs a youngster growing up, I thought Memorial Day was just about grilling, drinking beer, listening to music and hanging out with family and friends. It never occurred to me that thousands of Americans put their lives on the line so I and millions of other in this great country could celebrate this day.

When I joined the Air Force on May 30, 1990, I found new respect for veterans and current soldiers who put it all on the line so people like me can enjoy the freedom most of us take for granted. I found out first hand how people served two and some three tours of duty in heavy combat.

And I saw first hand how soldiers came back with limbs missing and soldiers suffering post traumatic
stress disorder and soldier who served 20 to 30 years but still weren't appreciated or could find jobs.
Before joining the military, I had no empathy or sympathy for our soldiers. But as a veteran, there is a special place in my heart for those who served and continue to serve, foreign or domestic. Not only do I have special place in my heart for soldiers but I have a deeper respect for this day.

It's no longer a day or relaxation and fellowship but a day to commemorate the fallen.
I would like to take this moment to thank everyone who made this day possible and I would like to give a special thanks who are serving in Afghanistan as well as other areas of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment